North Fork Outboard Motor Repair
Found 133 results
OUTBOARD MOTOR REPAIR IN NORTH FORK, NEW YORK
Visit eastern Suffolk County, and it is clear to see that boating rules in North Fork, NY. The 30-mile long peninsula that runs for Riverhead in the south to Orient in the north is a boater’s haven. Anything called a boater’s haven is also an outboard motor repair haven. Along the 30 miles of the peninsula or short distances away are marine mechanics wherever you look, including in Mattituck, Hampton Bays, Southampton, Southold, and other places. Of course, the marine mechanics in this area stay busy, so you need to develop a strategy for getting your outboard engine repaired and annually maintained or else you will have to look further away on Long Island, NY. Most boaters like convenience, so following are some tips for finding the right outboard mechanic for your needs, if convenience is your goal.
- Never settle for less than a certified marine mechanic. A qualified marine technician has earned certification through an organization like the American Yacht and Boat Council (AYBC). Some mechanics have spent a year or more studying marine technology at an educational institution and are certified upon program completion. Another source of certification is through factory training programs that lead to factory certification for repairing or maintaining a particular type of outboard motor, like a Yamaha or Honda.
- For an easy search, Mariner Exchange is a good source of links to marinas offering outboard motor repairs and marine repair businesses on the North fork peninsula and beyond. During boating season, many of the marine mechanics are booked solid, but you have many choices. It is a matter of finding them, and having names and links in one place makes it easy to find the marine mechanics you need.
- Choose a marine mechanic who offers outboard motor maintenance and repair services. That will save you time and frustration. The marine technician will become familiar with your outboard motor or outboard engine which can save you money in labor costs in many cases when you do need services. If your boat is kept at a marina all year, it is smart to find a marine mechanic ahead of time who will come to your dock to complete work.
MAIN CAUSES OF OUTBOARD MOTOR REPAIRS
Any mechanical system can unexpectedly breakdown, but there are some things that are sure to lead to often costly repairs. They include the following.
- Neglecting to do basic repairs when the motor seems to be developing a problem
- Postponing a repair until the end of boating system
- Attempting do-it-yourself repairs that are beyond your skills
- Trying to jerry rig a repair and causing an even worse problem
- Failing to have a marine mechanic do annual preventive maintenance
- Not properly winterizing the outboard motor
No one in North Fork, NY wants the boating season interrupted and especially due to an avoidable repair. It is important for boat owners to learn some basic maintenance tasks, like checking the level of the engine oil. You should regularly inspect your outboard motor for signs of corrosion, make sure the fuel primer bulb is not cracked, check the fuel line for cracks, and perform other basic preventive maintenance tasks. There are no substitutions though for expert mechanic services. You need to treat your outboard motor as good as you treat your car engine, if you don’t want to get stranded on Long Island Sound or in Gardiners Bay.